Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What's for Dinner?

Today I'm doing things a bit backwards, so I'm going to tell you what I'll be making and post pictures later on. This works well because 1. Anticipation is half the excitement, 2. I have part of dinner started and have to wait to move on some of it, and 3. Kate is asleep.

A while ago, I made gnocchi with tomato cream sauce, and I'm making it again tonight. I haven't made it since July, and I still have some tomatoes left in the garden. It was so good, and my husband will be crushed when he sees what we're eating without him (he'll be out with his cycling friends tonight for an end-of-the-season ride and meal that won't include anything this delicious). Also, I stated in my previous entry that it's difficult to have an appetizing picture of pink or cream colored food, but I want to try again. I'll let you know if I succeed.

To go with it, I'm having some seasoned chicken breasts. I've seen the sous-vide method talked about nonstop on Top Chef and The Next Iron Chef, so I'm anxious to see if I can pseudo-recreate it in my kitchen. On a very cave-man like level, of course, since my gadgets are limited to the standard food lover's kitchen. Basically, you place vacuum-packed ingredients in a low-temperature water bath with circulating water and cook it for a long time. You can read more about it on the Wikipedia site. I'll be circulating my water by hand, on occasion, and keeping the temperature right around 165° - 170°, much higher than sous-vide methods, really, but since I'm not an expert I'm erring on the side of safety. And we'll see how long we let it cook. My guess is my cross-over method will end up closer to a poached chicken than anything else amazing. But maybe a perfectly poached chicken.

Also, I'm trying a new recipe from Epicurious. It's called brussel sprout hash or something, and I'm making that because my husband isn't here tonight and doesn't like the sprouts, but I do, and I am so excited about this dish I'm jumping out of my skin. I can't wait to tell you how it all turns out. Check back....

No comments: