Friday, January 04, 2008

Bacon Mustard Vinaigrette

I mentioned that in December I catered a meal for a friend of mine, and I so wanted to pass along my recipe for Bacon Mustard Vinaigrette that the chicken was topped with, since it's delicious, especially in large quantities, but I completely forgot about it until tonight. While we just cooked the chicken breasts huddled together in pans on the stovetop for the party, I recommend this sauce for a roasted chicken, either a pan roasted breast with skin and bone or as a dressing for an entire roast chicken. No matter how you choose to serve it, though, I hope you're as happy with it as I am.

By the way, when I next make it, I'll post a picture of the finished product for you.

Yes, it's very high in fat. While it's good in mass quantities, it's also good as a little drizzle.


Bacon Mustard Vinaigrette

1/4 lb. bacon
3/4 T. Dijon mustard
3/4 T. stone ground mustard
2 T. honey
1 1/2 T. maple syrup
3/4 c. olive oil
1/3 c. white wine vinegar
1/2 T. shallots
1/2 T. garlic
Kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Dice the bacon and fry it up in a pan until just getting crispy. Remove the bacon to paper towel, reserve the bacon fat.

To your blender, add the bacon fat, 2 mustards, honey, maple syrup, vinegar, shallots, garlic, a generous pinch of salt, and a few turns of pepper. Blend until thoroughly combined, then - with blender running - slowly add the olive oil. Taste. If it's a bit too tart, add 1-2 T. more olive oil and a touch more honey and syrup. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired and pour into a dish. Stir in the bacon.

Serve over chicken. Dee-lish!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming when you say "mustard" that you mean prepared mustard and not the dry variety, correct?

BTW, it's a good thing you served this to me before I read the ingredient list. Otherwise, I don't think I'd have eaten it in the quantities that I did.