Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Garlic


Sometimes when I'm out of garlic, I hope to pick up a few good heads at the grocery store. Often I'm a little disappointed, and sometimes I'm just disgusted. Isn't it frustrating when the garlic heads look like all the large cloves have been picked off the outside for the store's own use. I'm sure it's much more likely that the heads aren't as mature and should have been given more time to grow, but it doesn't much matter what the excuse is. Small heads of garlic are annoying. You have about 4 medium-size cloves and then just the skinny stuff in the middle (that isn't worth my time).

So I was understandably ecstatic when I went to the store the other day (a different store, the cheap one), and they had loads of beautiful, large, perfect heads of garlic. I wanted to grab the whole lot, but that would have been overdoing it. Instead, I grabbed eight lovely looking parcels and brought them home. I've used one (over the weekend, which I still haven't told you about), and I have seven left.

Look at them. They're just dying to be used. Sautéed? Oven-roasted? Simmered in olive oil? I haven't figured it out yet. I've never tried this. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes...Roasted garlic soup!